EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM (AB)
The Extended Benefit Membership program was developed to extend coverage for AAU members while they participate in events hosted by other sports entities (not the AAU).This membership option is available on the individual AAU Athlete or Non Athlete application.
To have extended coverage (AB), the following criteria applies:
- For team competitions, the entire competing team and coach (non-athlete) must be AAU extended coverage members.
- For individual competitions, each competing individual must be an AAU extended coverage member and must be supervised by an AAU extended coverage registered coach (non-athlete).
Benefits of the Extended Benifit membership are:
- Sports Accident insurance
- General Liability insurance
- Certificates of insurance
Who is insured:
- Member clubs/teams
- Amateur Athletic Union of the United States, Inc.
When does extended Benefit coverage take effect?
- Coverage takes effect when AAU registered members with the extended benefit membership are participating in events hosted by organizations that are not member clubs of the AAU.
- Example: all of Jim’s basketball team members have registered with the extended membership option. Jim’s basketball Team is participating in an event hosted by the Local Park and recreation organization. The Park and Recreation Organization is not a member club of the AAU nor is the event licensed by the AAU. Jim’s basketball Team has coverage in this situation by being AAU extended benefit members
When does extended Benefit coverage not apply?
- The extended coverage membership is not an alternative to obtaining an AAU league or tournament license. An AAU club or team CANNOT HOST GAMES, SCRIMMAGES, LEAGUE PLAY, or TOURNAMENTS WITH THE EXTENDED BENEFIT MEMBERSHIP. Any AAU club that conducts any event that is not licensed by the AAU forfeits their AAU insurance benefits for that event.
NOTE: Officials are only covered while working AAU licensed events.